Monday 6 July 2015

Gran: The Traditional Farmers Wife


So my original inspiration for creating AgriWAGS came from 'Gran' not afraid to speak her mind or tell it like it is, I first met gran in May 2013, having already been scared half to death by my boyfriend about gran being the archetypal farmers wife, I entered the pretty little Northumbrian cottage with some trepidation. 

In fact the entire weekend had been a baptism of fire, meeting the parents, meeting more friends than I remember, attending a wedding (where I knew no-one) and of course, meeting Gran, all in one very frantic busy weekend.

After a good cup of Northern tea, one of Gran's 'cupboard special' creations and a catch-up between grandmother and grandson, attentions turned to me...

Now bare in mind we'd been to a wedding so my hair and nails were looking better than normal, when Gran turned, with a wry smile and said, 'so you think you'll enjoy being a farmers girlfriend then? as a wave of mild terror swept over me and before I had time to reply she said, 'Well, don't you worry about your shoes or your nails, as long as he's got food in his belly and a clean shirt on his back you'll be fine'

Alastair turned to look at me with a look of mild horror yet extreme amusement.. I simply smiled (giggled nervously) and said 'of course no problem' 

And that was that, I'd been told, he looked like the cat that got the cream and as for Gran, well after feeding him a Sunday roast on the combine that harvest, I think it's fair to say, she's happy I'll make it with my farmer :) 

Not bad for a townie ..or so they tell me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment