Tuesday 25 August 2015

Time to Unplug?

Tales from the Day Job...


In the age of the tablet, it seems we've all become maybe far too reliant on modern technology, (she's says writing this on her iPhone on the tube), but I've witnessed a couple of conversations recently, which I'll be honest makes me worry about future generations.

Standing in a jewellers doing the day job recently, a group of teen girls decide they've had enough of standing waiting to be served and so sat themselves down on a large box that was waiting to be put back in the stock room, now this on its own made me wonder, it wouldn't have even occurred to me to do something like that when I was their age, my mum would have given me 'that look' ..but the conversation that followed left me actually speechless...

'Yeah, I'm gunna get a boob job, then I'm gunna marry a rich old man.. and be famous, because of the boob job, then once I'm rich, I'll leave him and move on to the next one'

Now I admire the ambition and forward thinking and a boob job has certainly crossed my mind more than once, but seriously? Are these kids for real?

Another conversation overheard on the tube; A young family sat together and one of the young women happened to be reading a paper (yes actually reading!!) which featured a poll of what children want to be when they grow up, the list went: 

1. Rich 
2. Famous  
3. A Movie star 

...this prompted the young women to ask the kids in the group, to which they replied 'a footballer' and 'that famous Toby Star off the telly' (I have no idea who this is or if he's an actual person), then a young teen stated, 'well I'm gunna work for two years then take early retirement'

It seems that in a world full of technology and easy options, we're losing what it is that makes us human, I don't mean to get all deep, but how many of us now rely entirely on the sat nav and don't even own a map anymore, let alone carry one in the car?

We have a generation of parents who aren't able to cook a meal from scratch.. So what hope do their children have? and I recent survey showed that 3 out of 5 British kids have never heard a cow moo?

Modern technology is amazing, without it you wouldn't be reading this very article but I do think we need to unplug ourselves from time to time... go outside, maybe talk to each other over dinner! If one day I'm lucky enough to become a parent, I want to teach my kids to peel a potato and cook actually food and show them that if you want something in life you have to work for it, it doesn't come gift wrapped from the surgeon as after care for your boobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment